Monday, September 22, 2014

Cornered at the Morning Market

So yesterday (Sunday) I was out grabbing breakfast and some fruits/vegetables from the street market right out the back gate of our school (I'll post pictures of the market soon)

I was in my gym shoes and clothes, planning to grab a few things and go workout. As I was walking down the street a few women came up to me and asked me (in Chinese) if I could speak chinese
"你说中文吗?” --do you speak chinese?
“对,我知道一点点。” yes, i know a little
“你住在耐力?” where do you live (whoa all ready getting personal)
“我是老师” “握住在实验中学” (I am a teacher, I live at the school I teach at"

Then a woman who spoke English came up. They convinced me I needed to buy this fruit from Thailand (it took me about 20 minutes to figure out what the eff it was on google later), and then they forced me to write down all their numbers. The one who speaks English is going to give me Chinese lessons (not sure when I'll have time for that) and the other ones want me to tutor their children (not sure if I want to do that either---I'd rather enjoy my weekend) but anyways one made me get on the back of her scooter and showed me where she lived. Just a typical Sunday.

Result: I have 6 people in my wechat named "market lady" who are all overly enthusiastic to speak to me


Here is the fruit that I bought--the first time they weighted it it was $30. I ended up telling the dude to give me half--lol $15 later and fruit that I don't really like...it kind of tastes like a fig

After researching it is called tamarind and is native to India (or Africa according to another source) it is not a fruit it is actually a legume. 





1 comment:

  1. Yikes- scary- not knowing about these ladies. Stay safe- watch out for those market ladies!

    ReplyDelete