Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Typical Day in Jinan

Tomorrow I head to Beijing then fly from there home! So I had a few errands to run today. My priorities: clean, pack, get my nails done.

After eating breakfast, I went to the supermarket to get some supplies to clean with. The supermarket is in the basement of the mall. 

A Chinese New Year decoration in the mall


The mall had some cars on display and some signs displaying Obama's Chinese citizenship card.


Upon reaching the supermarket, a new sale had just started on some kind of meat leg. People literally started running to the cart of meat. 



this guy (below) didn't even bother with a bag


Lunch? Chicken feet all ready for the lunch rush. 



I went down a few aisles to see if there was any small snacks I could bring back with me. 
Milk tea is really popular here...but cheese oat milk tea? 



Or fermented soy bean prawn flavor potato chips?


A new face in the chocolate aisle...milky ways! (reeses are a recent addition as well) 


After leaving the supermarket, I decided to get a baked sweet potato (my favorite street food) 


I walked past a group of men yelling at each other...

Just an intense mahjong game. 




There are no dryers in China so it is common to see clothing hanging outside. But a little unusually to see clothes hanging in a tree that is not near anyone's home. 


I noticed something unusual on the street that I have never seen before...


Two dead rabbits. Roadkill? 


Or dinner? 

Right after I took a picture the man selling the meat held one up and tried to get me to take it. I tried to explain that I don't really eat meat. 

After cleaning for a few hours, I went out to get some fruit and vegetables from the street market right outside the school 



Someone was fixing the electric wires in front of the school gate. Totally safe. 


Then I went to get my nails done. There is a large underground tunnel below the main road near the mall. In the tunnel there's a huge mall of (cheap looking) clothing and nail/beauty places. 
It feels very Chinese. 

All the mannequins look like Mariah Carey 




As I was getting my nails done this woman was getting an eye treatment. No idea what treatment she was getting, she had the band over her eyes for about 30 minutes.


Most women in China (even Asia) want to have bigger looking eyes so they do treatments (even surgeries) to get double eyelids (like all western people have) so I'm assuming it was something of that nature. 

Now time to make dinner and pack :D See you soon America!


No comments:

Post a Comment